7015 Old Keene Mill Rd, Suite 101
Springfield VA 22150
Dentures and partial dentures are removable appliances used to replace missing teeth as well
as tissue. Dentures resemble your real teeth, and can make your smile more appealing.
There are two types of dentures:
1. Complete dentures: Used for patients who are missing all of their teeth
2. Partial dentures: Used for patients who are missing some of their teeth. It fills the spaces
and stop surrounding teeth from growing incorrectly.
Additionally, there are two types of complete dentures:
● Immediate: Made ahead of time so that they can be placed right after the teeth are removed.
The advantage of immediate dentures is the patient doesn’t have to go without teeth while the dentures are being made.
● Conventional: Made after all of the teeth have been removed and your gum tissue has fully recovered. This can take 4-6 weeks.
Dentures require maintenance and might have to be repaired or adjusted over time, but they are very durable.
When Are Dentures Needed?
Many people mistakenly think that dentures are only required when you get older. However, there are several cases when anyone may need dentures:
● You lose all of your teeth (complete dentures)
● You lose several teeth in an arch (partial dentures)
● You want to improve your ability to chew and speak normally
● Improve your facial tissues and your smile
Dentures in Springfield, VA
Dentures require multiple appointments that take place over a span of weeks. We must take precise molds and measurements in order to make custom dentures that fit comfortably. We might schedule some appointments during the process to have you come in and test the shape and fit for accuracy.
During your last appointment, the dentist will place your finalized dentures. When you first have your dentures placed, you might experience:
● Increased saliva production
● Difficulty speaking and chewing.
This is perfectly normal and should go away when your tissue and muscles get acclimated to your new dentures. We will also give you instructions on how to properly care for and maintain your dentures.