7015 Old Keene Mill Rd, Suite 101
Springfield VA 22150
For your first visit to Sonrisas and Smiles Dental Care, we will perform a detailed dental exam. This gives us an overview of your current oral health, and allows us to create a dental plan specifically for you. Our dental exams include:
● X-rays: We use X-rays to check for problems that are “underneath the surface”, such as decay, tumors, bone loss, and cysts.
● Gum disease: We look for signs of gum disease such as inflammation and bleeding.
● Tooth decay: We will examine the surface of your teeth for decay.
● Check any prior dental restorations: We’ll check on the condition of existing fillings, crowns, veneers, etc.
● Oral cancer screening: We will do a thorough examination of your tongue, throat, lips, and gums to look for symptoms/signs of oral cancer.
Either the doctor or a registered dental hygienist will perform a professional dental cleaning for you in addition to your exam. The cleaning will include:
● Plaque removal: Plaque is a combination of bacteria, saliva, and debris from food that develops on your teeth. It creates toxins that get into your gums and cause inflammation. If left untreated, it can develop into gum disease.
● Removing tartar (calculus): Tartar is plaque that has been left untreated for an extended period of time and has hardened onto the surface of the tooth. It develops below and above the gumline and requires specialized tools to remove.
● Polishing teeth: We polish your teeth to whiten them and remove any stains on the surface.